Monday, January 23, 2012

Vegan Monday : Peanut Isareli Couscous stuffed Peppers

Good friends of the West Coast Muse are in the middle of a 30-day vegan challenge (how San Francisco of them!) Now, the WCM is a pretty serious meat-eater so when I made dinner plans with the aforementioned friends, a bit of panic pulsed through my body. Not only did I need to make a main course that was meatless but also eggless, milkless, and (gasp) cheeseless! Ok, deep breath. People existed and functioned before cheese was invented. Right? People survived prior to goat cheese, yes? yes.

So your WCM searched far and wide for a good vegan recipe but nothing really suited my fancy. So I made up this recipe. ::pause:: Now, I am a pastry chef...I bake things. I make up recipes all the time....for ice cream and cake and truffles. But I will be the first person to admit that when it comes to being inventive with savory dishes, my mind goes blank. I am a great cook if I have a recipe but I can't just create things. So the fact that I made up this recipe AND that it was delicious is momentous. Also, if you're squeamish about vegan eatin' you need to rest at ease because if you're favorite bacon-eater is calling the following recipe delicious, you need to trust, because I am not easily pleased. 

Peppers stuffed with Peanuty Israeli Couscous

When you are imagining this on your "mind's tongue", think pad-thai flavors. 




2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (or squished through a hand dandy garlic press)

Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes being mindful to not let your garlic get too brown.

12 oz israeli couscous (easily found at TJs)

Add israeli couscous to the oil and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until the couscous are toasted. 

2 1/2 cups water or veg stock
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon siracha

Add the above three ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until your couscous are tender. 

1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Mix the peanut butter and oil into the couscous until they are well-coated. 

6 small rainbow carrots, chopped
1 can garbanzo beans

Toss chopped carrots and beans into the cous cous and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now let's stuff some peppers...Take 6 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, whatev) slice them in half length-wise and gut them out from seeds and veins. Lay the peppers in two oiled baking dishes and load 'em up with the cous cous mixture. Drizzle a little bit more oil on top and pop 'em in the oven at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until the peppers are tender. 

Top the cooked peppers with with chopped scallions and toasted peanuts. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment